Register a New Picture Post
Have this Information Handy
- The latitude and longitude of your post (you can get these from a GPS reading at the top of the post when you install the post).
- Convert the GPS readings to decimal degrees. Tip: In the USA and Canada, latitude will to the North, that is, between 0.0 and 90.0 degrees. Longitude will be to the West, that is between -180.0 and 0.0 (Note that longitudes in the Western Hemisphere are negative).
- The date that you installed your post.
- A photograph of your post.
- A set of 9 reference photographs (you can take these photographs when you install the post).
- A name for your post (include this in your post signage).
- A brief description of your post (include this in your post signage).
- The time zone that your post is in. What's my timezone?
What Does a Post Owner Do?It is a great feeling to get a new Picture Post in the ground! The value of any post is in the commitment of people to take pictures on a regular basis and for many years. It is not always easy to keep up the initial excitement, but we hope that the Picture Post network will offer incentives and provide participants with valuable information that will be rewarding as the network grows and matures.
A Picture Post owner is responsible for:
- setting up and adding your post to the website
- monitoring submissions and making sure that pictures meet your requirements
- deleting inappropriate material or poor quality pictures - anyone can help by flagging a picture as inappropriate
- choosing the reference set of photographs - you can change the reference set whenever you like
- photographer's notes and comments on the reference set of pictures - these are helpful for others to learn what you are monitoring and why it is important.
- Your notes and comments are best if they include names or species of plants of interest and other items you want people to watch for.
As the post owner, you will receive an email anytime that pictures are uploaded to your post. We also suggest that you designate an alternate responsible person (co-owner) who can take responsibility on your behalf.You must be a registered Picture Post user and logged in before you can add a post to the Picture Post network. If you have not previously registered, you can do so here.
Whoever adds the post becomes the post owner.
Ownership can be transferred by contacting us.